Thursday 22 March 2007

Tan Ee Lyn 2A06




For a long time I treaded the shaded path
Dawdling in a static scene so tranquil;
All a sudden
The world
Fell skewed-
Me supine, and another
Laid sprawled
By my side.

For a long time I laid in a daze
Nonplussed as I surveyed the luminous face,
Its eyes a flame which daintily danced
Fueled by a singular intensity I took in at a glance.

I hearkened to a cry-
Not so fast, boy!
And in a flash that face was gone.
And for a long time I was once again alone,
Till a grey-haired individual puffed along-
Not so fast, boy!
He vociferated yet again.
Yet, as with the chasing,
It was all in vain;
The boy raced away.

My curiosity piqued,
I followed the duo,
Following more cries of:
Not so fast, boy! and
Slow down, you!
All to no avail.
Then I stopped dead in my tracks,
For the scene around me had changed.
And then,
Ahead,
A splash.
And the boy ran no more.






Epilogue


This poem is my attempt to more or less illustrate the early and current relationship between Man and Nature, or specifically Man’s development progressing in such leaps and bounds that he extricated himself from Nature, and the ever widening detachment from each other. The end is a grim prediction of Man’s not-too-distant future, if he continues to race recklessly ahead.


Tan Ee Lyn
2A06

No comments: