Monday 26 March 2007

Ng Yu Hang - 2E'06



The crash of the rushing waterfall undulated like emotion through my consciousness.

I peer into the myriad of plummeting tears, and watch
as each teardrop ripples across the surface of water
like a drop of paint’s descent into a featureless lake.
like a rhapsody of colours’ reanimation of a monochrome picture.

And I suppressed the desire to scream in hope.
And I suppressed the impulse to scream in despair.
And I suppressed the compulsion to scream my final goodbye.

And oh, as I finally opened my mouth to scream,
I found myself at the bottom of a lake,
a gulp of water forcing its way through my gaping mouth.
My consciousness wavers, and I drown,
my crypt the forlorn depths of a forgotten ocean.

The tinkle of the rushing waterfall crooned a sorrowful serenade of loss for a friendship long forgotten.


I have forsaken the world,
and now am one with it.
I am alone,
and now am in the best of company.


Inspiration

The tranquility of the cavern behind the waterfall despite the crash of the water, amplified by the solitude of the place and the mesmerizing patter of the water droplets created a beautiful backdrop in which one feels alone; not lonesome, but alone and content. Poems learned in class such as Woodsworth’s The World Is Too Much With Us speaks of how the modernization has taken away the beauty of nature. Thus, to rediscover nature in its full splendor, one must relinquish the material world; a concept which has been implemented into the poem. The usage of present tense in the last two verses of the third stanza is on purpose, so as to portray a more first person view than that of a recount.

No comments: