Monday 19 March 2007

Kueh Xiu Qing-2D'06


Prologue:


I was actually inspired by the poem “Daffodils”. I feel that Wordsworth actually used the daffodils to convey joy and zest for life, and similarly I used the twig lying on the grass to reflect my emotions on the fear of change. The theme in class of how many Romantic poets were inspired by nature, and derived their inspiration from nature, triggered my creative reaction as I found that I was able to use nature, like them, to express my feelings and emotions as well.

This is a personal poem, not one praising nature, or a lamentation about how man is destroying nature. I thought that since man and nature are said to share such a close, spiritual bond, it is only appropriate that I liken myself to a part of nature. I compare myself to a twig on the grass, a twig that was once strong and mighty but now lies useless at the foot of the tree, in the shadow of the tree where it once reigned supreme. I was intrigued by the unique shape of the twig and used it to convey my emotions of wanting to break free. Basically, this poem is all about taking that chance, about picking yourself up even though you’ve fallen, about daring to be more than you think you are, about not being afraid to change.


Falling

I lie; I lie on the grass once again
I fall; I’ve fallen to the grass once again
What happened to the grass, the grass so soft
The grass that’s supposed to catch
Catch my fall?
The grass that is supposed
Supposed to be my
Salvation?
All at once, it has become
Prickly
Itchy
Unbearable, intolerable
A safety net, a cushion?
A deathbed, a grave?
My fall, from the tree of life
Beautiful, dignified?
Painful, sorrowful?

I lie; I lie on the grass once again
I fall; I’ve fallen to the grass once again
I was once
A mighty branch
Firm, strong
Powerful
I had many leaves
Under my control
Admired, feared
Wanted
Seasons changed, other branches emerged
Firmer, stronger
More powerful to take my place
And I fell, I fell, unwanted
While others took my place

I lie; I lie on the grass once again
I fall; I’ve fallen to the grass once again
I lie in the shadow of
My former self
For protection
For fear
Fear of the unknown
Fear of venturing out
Into the sunlight
I have been a branch so long
I no longer know, how to be anything more
I lie in the shadow of my former self
Alone, alone
Alone.

Oh god, see how
See how my arms reach out
I am reaching out
Reaching out
Desperately grasping
At something
Anything
Anything to feel alive
I am discoloured, spotted
Sharp edged
Am I nearing death?
Am I useless?
Now I lie on the ground?

I lie; I lie on the grass once again
I’ve fallen; I’ve fallen to the ground once again?
Why again, why again?
Have I been here before?
Why, yes.

For those who fell before me
And those who are soon to fall
All go through this one same journey
Fall to the ground, one and all
There are some who lie, for eternity
Waiting for the earth to consume them
Waiting for people
To step on them
Crush on them
Useless, they have given up
In the last days of their life
There are some, who try but fail
Fail to walk out of the shadow
But yet, there are some,
There are some brave enough
Strong enough
To take the chance
To fly with the wind
To wash away with the rain
In search of a better
Tomorrow.
Kueh Xiu Qing
2D'06

No comments: