Tuesday 20 March 2007

Ellery Aruldoss - 2E06


As I strolled along the meandering path amidst the quiet serenity of the gardens, I was deep in thought about the troubles of life and their significance. My world is built largely around school, friends and family, each with different complications and various settings, each one had me in its thrall. Lost in my personal concerns, I failed to notice nature beckoning me to fall into its sweet embrace, to allow me to forget my problems and lose myself in the heavenly greenery. Instead I chanced upon a little terrapin minding its time away beside a huge pond. Something about the terrapin and its own little world reflected on my personal world and I wondered for a moment or two whether the terrapin faced its own quirky problems that it had to deal with. This inspired me to write this poem based on the comings and goings in the life of one little terrapin.


THE MIGHTY TERRAPIN

The king of the pond sat on his throne
And looked upon the water
He called the pond his own
And jumped straight in thereafter

He swam amongst the fish and declared:
“I shall be your king!”
The fish laughed and thought he was mad,
They cried “he doesn’t know a thing!”

He swam to the seaweed down to the snails,
And to the shells they popped inside.
Screamed the king in a voice that screeched like nails,
“You can’t run but you sure can hide!”

He paddled to the surface to see a swan
What a beautiful sight was there
Said he to the swan, “let me be the one”
But was fixed with an indifferent stare.

The king swam back, dejected and sad
“As a king no one wants me ever since,
But take heed my dear friends, for tomorrow I’ll be glad
To try my luck as a prince!”


Ellery Aruldoss 2E

No comments: