Tuesday 20 March 2007

Heng Yan Ting [2F/06]


Tree with support from a structure.


Nature adding colours and life to a man-made structure.


Presence of concrete restricting movement and growth of roots.


Humans having fun on tree.




You and me

Beautiful as I seemed to be,

I needed help, never filled with glee.

No more sorrow when you made me a structure,

Held me up, with an upright, good posture.


You climb my back, you play with my flowers.

You cut me down to make toys and drawers.

You place me here, you shift me there,

So you think I’m your slave everywhere?


I see grey patches in front of me,

Restricting me to grow, set me free!

I see grey skies everyday,

Modernisation you always say.


Now it’s my turn to take revenge,

I give you hurricane, earthquake and avalanche.

I breathe you in and eat you up,

Now we’re quits, you wanna patch up?



This poem is written in the point of view of nature, be it a plant, a tree, roots or the vast Earth and “you” in the poem refers to Man. The poem discusses about the issues of Man and Nature, the relationship with each other. The first stanza is trying to convey a message that nature is dependant on man; an example would be a morning glory, having no support to grow despite its beauty. It is until Man came along and provides them with a structure that can give them support, allowing them to grow upwards. The second stanza is regarding nature’s conversation with Man, telling Man about what he requires of nature in terms of their source of entertainment or necessities. In addition, Man also requires nature's help in terms of design and decoration, adding colours to boring man-made structures, showing man’s reliance on nature. The third stanza is on the topic of man’s destruction to nature with modernization. With technology becoming more and more advanced, everything is revolutionized and this leads to the downfall of nature. The “grey patches” refers to concrete where it confines the plant, depriving its roots of movement and growth, while the “grey skies” refers to air pollution that is prevailing in society now. The last and final stanza shows the power of nature and that it is not necessarily always Man stronger nature. Nature can also defeat Man by creating natural disasters where Man has difficulty controlling these disasters and thus, concede. But all in all, the real beauty of everything lies in the harmony of Man and nature, therefore, the poem asks a question at the end, whether Man and nature can combine to form a better world.

Heng Yan Ting [2F/06]

No comments: