Sunday 18 March 2007

Tong Haowen Joel - 2F /06

Prologue:
This picture, together with issues attributed to Man such as Global Warming and the theme of death and destruction of Man due to Man’s actions as seen in Mark O’Connor’s poem “Earth”, have inspired me to write a poem celebrating the beauty of nature and lament on the fallacies of Man. It is partly a fusion of John Keats-style and with the awe and fear of God, as seen in William Blake’s “The Tyger” and “The Lamb”.






The Flower

A visit to the Gardens was asked of thee,
Mundane a visit ‘twas thought would be,
Sweltering heat thou hath heard in thine country,
Such a motion, sweetest thee,
Pray you, forgive me.

Thou tee drenched in sweat,
Was I soaking wet,
Wished thine promethean flame
Be begone!
Let a purge befall thee
Condemn thine furnace to the stake!
Meager knowledge of thine means of food
Did I see,
Pray you, forgive me.

‘Twas was said:
“All roads lead to Rome”.
And so, indeed did I see thee,
Brilliance of cherubim white,
With a hint of violet
Lit up thou eyelet.
Your angelic glee,
Brought up the happiness within me,
That was what I made of thee.

Thou blossom! Thou art
Like fireworks unto thine heavens,
Like cirrus is to sky,
Crickets played music unto thee,
A sonnet echoed in Rivendell,
A song of joy
Lifted thine misery,
Words can’t express thee!

Sudden revelation befell me,
Could thine artwork
Thine minut’st angel,
Belong to the Great God
Who created thee?

Had thou forsaken Thee?
Thou ravager of thine Eden,
Thine work of art,
Thou hath ignored,
Thou hath destroyed.
Thine had giveth,
And Thou has taketh.
Thine had endured,
Thou has squandered.

Shouldst’ Thou honour Thee?
Shouldst’ Thou incur the wrath of thee?
Thou hath sparked thine raging tempest,
Thine feared clandestine power
Ready to strike,
Yet ready to forgive, therefore
Pray You, forgive humble thee!

Thine sweet petals!
How thine wish’d to be with thee,
But Alas!
Time and tide waitst’ for no Man;
Thou had to part from thee.
A photo and memories is all I have of thee,
Grow to a plant, this you must assure me,
And when we meet,
Remember my atonement,
Remember my plea—
Pray you, forgive me.


Done by: Tong Haowen Joel - 2F /06

No comments: