Sunday 18 March 2007

Tan JiaJin 2D'06

Basically, my poem is a simple one that reflects on some of the thoughts I kind of had when I was over in the Botanic Gardens, things like why man's modernisation (technological advancements, etc) has seemed to make man feel distant from nature. I attempted to use a fair bit of rhyme and rhythm so as to create a form of rhythmic "flow" throughout the entire lest it does not sound like a poem. Hope it's alright.



It was a Thursday,

Or at least, I guess so.

We were all on our way,

To Botanic Gardens, we go!


It was a short bus trip,

And soon we were there.

Experiencing what was called Nature,

Here, there, everywhere.


Plants of every species,

Flowers of every colour.

Trees with varied, different leaves,

Wonders of Mother Nature.


Separate ways we all went,

All out to explore.

With all our various tasks at hand,

To search for what we looked for.


The afternoon sun rised soon,

Very well above our heads.

It was so hot then,

I nearly drop dead.


We finished our job quick,

Thank goodness we were fast,

So tired was I,

I decided to rest.


I looked all around me,

And found this HUGE tree...


Hurried did I,

And soon took shelter.

Shut my eyes tight,

And thoughts start to wander....


Leaning against the big, tall tree,

I felt the strong breeze that blew right past me.


Birds sang their tune and

The leaves rustled gently,

I sensed peace all around me,

Just peace and tranquility.


This I never experienced,

In the cold, busy city.

It can never be found nor ever be,

With all the science and technology.


For that small moment

I felt in sync' with nature.

But soon that feeling was gone,

With my friend's tap on the shoulder.


Time and tide waits for no man,

Or so I once heard.

I hurried up the bus,

And soon we were bound home-ward. (to school)


As I sat in my seat,

I looked back at the garden.

The green and the tranquilty.

Still there in my head, unforgotten.


I know not what made me

Desire to stay longer,

The boring city life? My homework?

Or simply just pressure?


Just for a moment,

I wished to escape.

Escape from my mundane reality,

And return back to nature.

Plants of every species,

Flowers of every colour.

Trees with varied, different leaves,

Wonders of Mother Nature.




No comments: